Saturday, January 31, 2009

Take 2: Baking with Apples!



Due to certain New Year's resolutions (which haven't been adhered to very strictly...), I was searching for a great low-fat recipe with which to utilize my new mixer!

I was looking through the community cookbook, and found a low-fat apple cake. It sounded awesome, and doesn't use any butter at all. I'm really not one to favor any lack of butter- especially with baking, but I figured I'd give it a try because my sweet tooth is just plain out of control. I really don't think I'll be breaking any copyright rules posting the recipe, so here it is:


Pat's Low-fat Apple Cake

3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c sugar
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz applesauce
splash of milk
2 or 3 apples
Confectioners Sugar

Topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbs flour

Preheat the oven to 375. Spray square or round cake pan with cooking spray. Beat egg whites and vanilla together. Add sugar a little at a time. Sift together in a separate bowl flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to first mixture. Add applesauce and splash of milk. Beat until smooth. Add apples of your choice and pour into square or round cake pan. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on cake; bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

This cake is super moist and delicious! I really don't even miss the butter at all, and I didn't use any confectioners sugar. I think this is definitely something that'd be better served warm. It's interesting, because of the applesauce and all the apple slices, the texture reminded me a little bit like kugel. It's delicious!

I also started to think that I could make this for my dad, who is diabetic. I'm sure I could substitute both sugar components for the Splenda stuff, and get the no sugar added applesauce. This would be a much better option for him in the morning instead of pastries and coffee cake! I'm also thinking I could add oats to the recipe to give it extra texture, and extra healthiness.

1 comment:

Christen said...

YUM! I am SO going to try this recipe out :D

but maybe after spring break... lol. i'm deliberately restricting myself on baking things from now til then.