Friday, May 22, 2009

I Really Am a Good Daughter...Really...


In the blur of BU Senior Week and Commencement (yes, I am officially a BU COM Alumn!), I completely forgot to send mom a card or any kind of gift for Mother's Day. I know we've all been there, but I felt extremely lame calling her up and offering an empty I.O.U.

So when I got home, I decided that instead of unpacking and doing laundry, I would bake her a cake. We all love coconut and any kind of tropical flavor, so I made a coconut cake with a key lime cream cheese frosting. I made a few slight variations on the frosting by adding 2 tbs butter, 3 tbs milk, more lime juice, and more powdered sugar. I even learned from my past mistakes and evened out the bottom cake with a long knife so it wouldn't look like the leaning tower of cake. I only got to taste the scraps, but they were awesome! I think all we need is a scoop of coconut ice cream, and we've got a delicious almost-summertime treat!

Oh, and I also listened to my friend Lauren's advice and I put a pan of water in the oven underneath the cake pans as they baked. It makes the cakes supermoist and delicious!

No comments: