Monday, December 15, 2008

It's Beginning to Feel A Lot Like Christmas...





With finals looming, things were pretty crazy last week. I finally had a few days to relax, and decided to make a new post about some wonderful goodies my friends and I had made a few weeks ago.

It's always fun creaming butter and sugar when you don't have any sort of electric mixer, and I'm grateful that both of my friends who helped are very athletic and actually have some upper body strength. We made the traditional sugar cookies, but made them kind of thin, and so decided to make them thicker the next time we would bake them.

I was also dying to try my hand at some puff pastry treats, and obviously bought the frozen pre-made phyllo dough sheets. I had seen Sunny Anderson on the Food Network make these beautifully simply puff pastry cookies simply by spreading jam on the sheet, and rolling and slicing.





We decided to be safe with only one sheet, and went crazy with the other! I can't tell you exact amounts, but here's how we made our filling:
-first, we started with a simple sugar in a small saucepan

-then, we diced clementines very small and added them

-when they didn't reduce exactly how we wanted, my friend popped them in the Magic Bullet (love that thing!) and returned back to the saucepan

-We added about 2.5-3 tbs of Blackberry Jam and let it all meld together

-To get the consistency we wanted, we popped it in the fridge for a few minutes

The clementines weren't at their best, so there was a slight aftertaste, but overall, they were great!




The pictures show sloppy pastries, but my friend reminded me how to make them really look like hearts: you roll the doll from each end, meeting in the middle, and you slice them. It was a yummy and fun experience! We also discussed adding cinnamon, sugar, and butter for the next time we experiment with phyllo dough.





Does anyone out there have any great phyllo dough dessert recipes or suggestions?




No comments: