Saturday, November 22, 2008

Feels Just Like I'm Falling for the First Time...

Exactly one year ago today, I was in Paris. Last fall, I studied abroad in London, and a friend and I decided to travel the Chunnel to reach a land full of beautiful people, the Eiffel Tower, and croissants- on what would have been our Thanksgiving weekend.

Did we indulge in Duck Confit, expensive French wine, or rich French cheeses? Nope. I'd like to think that even if our wallets had been much fatter, we still would have taken the simple and inexpensive route. We dined one-at-a-time on pastries and baguettes that were seen as peasant food, but we didn't care- we were staying in a one-star hotel (not a hostel), and we felt like kings.

What better way to start my new blog with a post about my travels abroad, and how they changed the way I look at and appreciate food?

Let's start with my home base: London. With the dollar/pound conversion rate at two to one, and sometimes a bit more, it was a challenge to eat delicious food without breaking the bank. I would personally like to thank Sainsbury's and Tesco for the 30p baguettes and 2.90 bottles of wine.


Without you, I would not have enjoyed getting drunk off of cheap wine, or eating delicious drunk munchies. I salute you, and will praise the day I can walk into one of your stores on American soil.


You want to talk about acting like a kid in a candy store? Go to the biggest open-air food market in London, Borough Market, and I dare you not to buy anything. You can't resist! There is almost every kind of food imaginable. My personal favorite stands were the candy/baklava stand (of course), the Scrumpy Apple Cider stand, the gourmet burger stand, any and all bread stands, and, best of all, the fresh ravioli and pasta stand. I even bought venison ravioli. Scrumptious. Every time I was feeling homesick or blue, I'd hope on the Tube to Westminster, walk along the Thames, and make my way to London Bridge, where Borough Market gloriously stands every Thursday-Saturday.

Going abroad, of course, meant stretching my comfort zones a bit. In foodie terms, that meant trying spicier foods. One of my flatmates was familiar with the South Hall area, famous for its Indian restaurants and vendors- basically, she was going to get us the inside scoop on the most delicious homemade Indian food in all of London town. I've always loved Indian food, and was psyched out of my mind to experience all the new tastes and smells of South Hall...Unfortunately, I would also experience some new discomforts. I tried my best, but simply could not finish all the food I had ordered. My flatmates made fun of me the entire bus ride home.

In late September, my sister came to visit, bring me any comforts from the homeland, and tackle Oktoberfest! Munich is phenomenal, and the weekend can be reduced to two words: 1.) Beer. 2.) Meat. This picture pretty sums up both.


A few friends from high school were studying in Rome and Florence the same semester, so I gladly hopped on a few Ryan Air flights to gorge on pizza, pasta, wine, and the fresh delicacies that these wonderful cities offered. One of my most memorable experiences in Europe was my brave consumption of rabbit while in Florence. Honestly, it tasted like chicken, smothered with a spicy and light tomato sauce. I'd eat Pietro Cotton tail any time.

Last, but certainly not least, was my weekend in Barcelona, which was perhaps my favorite city. The city is right on the water, and menus offered fantastic seafood prepared in savory and succulent ways. We almost died when we decided to splurge and eat dinner at a restaurant on Port Vell, a pier/mall on the water. A few months later, my family and I traveled to Barcelona, and I insisted we go to that restaurant. It was still phenomenal. They have almost every kind of Paella you can imagine. I tried the Fideua Paella with cod, which was to die for. Most people don't realize how different the Spanish regions can be, and this Catalunian dish is a paella with noodles instead of rice. Accompanied by the calm of the dark water and a wonderful bottle of red wine, we sat back, belly full, and tried to forget that we would be returning to the States in just one week.
A year after my gallivanting in Europe concluded, I often look back on those memories and wish I could return to European Paella, beer and meat, pastries, baguettes, and ridiculously cheap wine. Someday I will, but I know how many wonderful food experiences I have ahead of me right here, right now.















3 comments:

Law Badger said...

hi heather! i love the blog! i can't wait to be a guest contributor (maybe with a weekly column on restaurants in DC? Spanish cuisine? cheap wine review of the week? just uh, a few hints haha). keep up the delicious good work! make sure you put Mother Mash in there!

beeahna said...

Eating Napoleon in bed while watching the French version of American Idol. It doesn't get much better than that! ;)Can't wait to see what you'll cook up next. A post about super long spaghetti from Trader Joe's perhaps.

Lauren Papp said...

This made me want to go to Europe and explore all its fabulous food.

Oh, and I made risotto with asparagus tonight. :)